Monday, July 16, 2018

Poem a Day

Poem a Day
Rachel Hunton


It has been so long since I truly felt like a student. Though I am always learning whether it be
on the job, from my students, or through professional development, nothing compares to sitting
face to face with peers who share your interests and passions and are ready to question the world
with you!


When you are a student, it is ok to have more questions than answers. It’s not easy to feel like
his throughout the school year. Teachers are supposed to have all the answers, right?! These
past four weeks have emboldened me to try new things and share these things with my peers.
The level of vulnerability they have shown has created such an open and trusting atmosphere.
An atmosphere that is essential to risk-taking and growth.


In this mindset, I was inspired by guest author, Liz Ahl, to try my hand at some poetry.
I used to write poetry in high school, but haven’t had the opportunity or inspiration since.
Liz lit that flame, as I connected so deeply to the themes in her work. I started a “Poem a Day”
collection as a challenge that turned into some pieces I really liked! Then once I had a few,
I was forced to think about the themes that tied them together, what order I could put them in,
how I could revise some to make them fit the “collection.” I look forward to continuing
this endeavor and would like to share two poems with you!


Longing, Yet Not


A new life comprised of the ones they
left behind.
Earnest yet haphazardly assembled.
Held together by that chance of
returning, one day, to a place I never left.
Bandages worn and tired.
Strengthening in their resolve not to.
They’ll never go back.
And I am left.
In between.
I thought I’d gladly cross those thresholds they exited.
Their backwards glances not just glancing. Staring, lingering.  
Longing, yet not.
I longed. Longed for belonging.
How could I put down roots here when they could not?
But they brought me here.
Here brought me to you.
With you I’ll stay.
Still longing, yet not.

Our Ways


You go yours and I go mine.
Mine;
calculate and prepare.
Yours;
meander and relish.
I wish some of mine were yours and some of yours were mine.
But we can’t change.
Even exchange.
We go our separate, then return in the evening.
Never fully understanding the day the other has left behind.
Yet, truly understanding how our ways marked them.
In our ways, we take comfort.
In our ways, we know each other.

We love each other for our ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment