Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Bicknell’s Thrush By Isis M. Féliz J.

Bicknell’s Thrush

I am here looking into an abyss, hoping to find a bird that comes from my country.  It is an irony of life to have to cross the Atlantic Ocean to find my fellow Dominican.  When I look at him, I see his eyes, tired from so long a journey, and at the same time waiting to be one with us.  Perhaps he can recognize us, perhaps he knew how to look beyond our gaze, past our heavy clothing, and our hopes, to see that we belong to his country.  Perhaps this is the reason he decided to appear in our path.
What can be said of those who with so much concern, care for a Dominican bird and at the same time for us?  What can I do so other Dominicans will see the transcendence of caring for our species?  My voice alone will not be enough, but I can be the one who tells others what I learned through this project.
Ten years ago, I wasn’t aware of the importance of the Bicknell’s thrush, yet it was already recognized in a distant country.  Today I am sitting on a bench hoping to find the answers to the questions the great scientists are raising for me and trying to understand how a bird so small can mean so much to so many people.


By Isis M. Féliz Jiménez




2 comments:

  1. Isis,

    I loved finding your piece on the Bicknell's Thrush. Thanks so much for sharing. I love your last line. Can I share your piece when I give presentations- attributing you as the author of course?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to sign my name to the message above. Mary Ann McGarry, Plymouth, New Hampshire

    ReplyDelete