Wednesday, July 11, 2018
Rez Dog by Kelly Hamilton

You were found under a Juniper tree.
A scared little puppy
who had survived all alone
for six months
in the high desert of Northern Arizona.
That’s how Kenny knew.
Why he thought of your name
the minute he saw you
before he even knew this fact.

You died the first week of May
in a year that hadn’t been going very well to begin with.
You waited for me to get home
from my trip across the sea
before you let go.
You needed your mama to be there
to hold you.

Because after more than ten years
of living together
you had come to know me
as your mama,
though it took a while
to earn your love.
I remember how you tried to
shove yourself between us
on my first date with Kenny.
He didn’t even have a couch,
but you found a way to fit
on that papasan chair.

When we left your homeland
for our eastern destination,
you started showing
signs of age.
After all, you are the dog
who sat in the back
of the moving truck
all day
while we loaded
Kenny’s condo up
to move in together
those many years ago.
Moving across the country
had taken its toll.

My grief sometimes catches me
by surprise. I think of you
at random times.
I’ll see your picture hanging
on Kenny’s office wall
or hear the jingle of a dog collar
and remember that you’re gone.
That I miss you.

And I do miss you all the time.
It’s not fair to say
“I miss you every day”
because I’ve gotten used to your absence.

When you passed, it was the end of an era.
Something more than our family pet
was lost.
You represented an important phase of life.
You were part of Flagstaff.
Part of Kenny.
Of me
becoming who I always knew I would be
but never wanted to believe
I could become
in case I didn’t.

You could always be trusted.
That time we walked up to Buffalo Park
I didn’t put you on the leash.
You trotted just ahead
always our scout on any trail.
We came upon that herd of elk.
My heart began to pump
and I felt the familiar icy adrenaline rush
that came with the possibility
of dog action.
Would you run after them?
Would I lose you?
Would you get hurt?
But no. Typical Juni,
you froze in your tracks
the minute you perceived their presence,
a football field away,
through the vanilla sweet Ponderosa.
One look at those scary elk
and you turned around
and trotted back
toward home.

You didn’t bolt away quickly,
skittish and scared.
No, this was a more calculated fear.
You knew that those elk could take you down.
Run you over.
So you weighed your options
and decided that you weren’t going to take your chances
with pushing ahead.
You simply ran home.

I trotted behind you
all the way.
Still in awe
of this beautiful life
we were living.

But then again
you could also run
with utter joy;
Scampering and scooting,
racing fast
around Hart Prairie
with your ears flattened
against the sides of your head,
tongue lolling out of your mouth.
Cutting the corners
just a little too close.

I knew when we met
that you were a special pup.
I knew
I would miss you.

And I do.





2 comments:

  1. I love this piece, and you! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just loved it! Itwas kinda sad, but you really got me crying. I love dogs and I know what you went trough. :)

    ReplyDelete